Sorry for my brief hiatus, but I’ve returned and I’m going to touch base on several things that have happened in my absence.
1. The Sabres resigned Marc Andre Gragnani. Sadly it is a one year deal. I think he has potential and would have liked to see him around at least 2-3 years. But maybe the front office knows what they are doing with this one. Hockey’s future says this about him…
Gragnani is a well-rounded defenseman who plays with great tenacity. While he does not have one particular attribute that stands out, he is very capable and consistent. He is a solid passer, and plays with intelligence in the defensive zone. Though he is not an enforcer type, he is willing to sacrifice his body
2. Kovy is a free agent again! I doubt he will be for too long. The Devils and him will most likely rework the contract and he will be back in Jersey in no time.
3. The Sabres signed Shaone Morrisonn. (That’s Shawn by the way) He’s a stay at home physical player, kind of like a young Craig Rivet. He has put up some solid seasons with the Capitals and their horrible goaltending, so I think he will fit in nicely here.
4. Mike Modano is a Detroit Red Wing, and was promised time centering the third line. That means he will most likely be with Hudler and Cleary… one heck of a third line.
5. The Sabres signed Williamsville native David Leggio, to a two way contract. He was playing in Finland with the SM-liiga (that’s where the Great Teppo Numminen began his amazing career), where he led the team to a title. His numbers all through college and in Finland have been very good, and this young prospect will likely backup Enroth in Portland this season. Having a goalie of his skill in our system can only mean good things for our future!