The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed 23-year old defenseman Mike Weber to a two year/$1.9 million deal, General manager Darcy Regier announced today. Weber, 6’2”, 211 lbs., and a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is yet another important piece of the ever improving defensive core of the Sabres. He led the team in hits last year with 158, and will no doubt improve his game even more with the addition of defenseman Robyn Regehr.
The team still has restricted free-agents Jhonas Enroth, Andrej Sekera and Marc-Andre Gragnani left to re-sign, and the latter two would give the Sabres eight viable options on defense going into next season. This includes Shaone Morrisonn who, if he isn’t traded or successfully waived, is a prime candidate to be demoted to AHL Rochester, given where he would sit on the Sabres’ depth chart and his salary of over $2 million per year.
The re-signing of Weber leaves the Sabres with around $400, 000 of available cap space which, at this or any point, is clearly too close for comfort.
- Follow us on Twitter in fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site. Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you hear Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email [email protected]. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about, [email protected] will get you started.