There was a stirring tribute to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl that I was made aware of, and I wanted to share it with everyone. If you haven’t seen it yet, go grab a tissue first. It’s in Russian, but trust me, what you are about to see translates just fine.
Here is a brief description of the events that took place at the Minsk hockey arena:
“A heart-stirring requiem mass has taken place at the Minsk ice hockey arena, where this evening local side Dynamo were supposed to take on Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, the team which tragically died in Wednesday’s plane crash. All tickets for the game had been sold long before the tragedy. Soon after the sad news spread worldwide, the game’s organizers decided to arrange a mass at the arena, honoring the legacy of the team. Not a single ticket had been returned as the ceremony was held in the packed arena. Each spectator brought flowers. All the Belarusian leadership, including President Aleksandr Lukashenko, were present at the event. Never was the arena that silent as 37 huge portraits of the players and staff were placed on the ice. A requiem mass was performed by an orchestra, while portraits of the departed Yaroslavl friends and icons appeared on the scoreboard. Each picture was met with a storm of applause, after which the Dynamo players scored a puck each in their own net. Similar ceremonies were held on Thursday evening in a dozen Russian and CIS cities.”
Thank you to RussiaToday for uploading the heart-wrenching ceremony.
- Follow us on Twitter in fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site. Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you hear Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at[email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email[email protected]. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about,[email protected] will get you started.