I can hear a pin drop in my neighborhood today. With the 10-year anniversary of 9/11 upon all of us, I guess the silence is only fitting. Listening to the stories of that day floods my mind with memories, none of them good ones. I remember I was working afternoons, and had gone to bed quite late the night before. At around 9:30 on the day of, my wife came into the bedroom and said, “you’d better get up”.
The feelings of sorrow, anger, disbelief, and wanting a measure of retribution and revenge consumed me. Today those feelings came rushing back.
Instead of some self-aggrandizing post about what 9/11 means to me, though, I am going to link some stories about what 9/11 means to the hockey world:
Some Devils and Rangers remember where they were and what they were doing.
The Los Angeles Kings lost two scouts that day when their plane rammed into the south tower.
A second story recalling the lives of scouts Garnet “Ace” Bailey and Mark Bavis, who perished that day.
Rangers coach John Tortorella was a humbled guest inside a NYC firehouse.
One of the greatest defensemen in league history lost a dear friend that day. Here is his story.
Chris Higgins’ had some tense moments awaiting word about his firefighter father on September 11th, 2001.
Our own Buffalo Sabres played the New York Rangers less than a month after the attacks. While in NYC, the team made a special trip to ground zero. What they saw, they would never forget.
- Follow us on Twitter in fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site. Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you hear Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at[email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email[email protected]. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about,[email protected] will get you started.