The Buffalo Sabres have added yet another member to their already incredible broadcast crew. Brian Duff, who hosts the NHL Network’s “On the Fly”, will be joining the team as host of “Sabres Game Night” when Kevin Sylvester is slated to do the play-by-play. With Sylvester taking on a bigger role this year, in which he is scheduled to call 25 games (due to Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale scaling back their workloads), Duff was obviously brought on to allow Sylvester to concentrate solely on his play-by-play duties.
Prior to joining the NHL Network, Duff spent 6 seasons as the Toronto Maple Leafs‘ pre- and post-game host on Leafs TV, and also spent some time on the Edmonton Oilers‘ and Ottawa Senators‘ radio broadcast crews.
As for Sylvester’s upcoming stints in the booth, he will be joined upstairs by Danny Gare, who previously worked for the Sabres as color analyst after his playing career was over. Gare was also the Columbus Blue Jackets‘ commentator from 2006 to 2009, where he worked along side the Jackets’ great play-by-play man Jeff Rimer.
Sylvester has previously stood in for RJ at various times over the past few seasons, and has done an outstanding job filling those shoes. While it’s unfair to judge anyone against the great Rick Jeanneret (unless that guy is Gary Thorne), we could do a lot worse than Sylvester, if he ended up becoming the team’s full time guy when, and I hope this is a long way off, RJ decides to hang ‘em up.
Color me biased, but a lineup of Jeanneret, Neale, Sylvester, Gare, Mike Robitaille, Rob Ray, and now Duff, form one colorful, experienced crew, which should only add to the anticipation for the games this season.
- Follow us on Twitter in fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site. Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you hear Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at[email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email[email protected]. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about,[email protected] will get you started.