I’m writing this while enjoying some whiskey and re-caulking the bathtub, so it’s gonna be short, sweet, and abrasive. Kinda like the Sabres power play.
- Ryan Miller needs to show up better than he did tonight. He had 2 fantastic games in Europe, and he came here and certainly doesn’t look like a Vezina caliber goalie. He gave up rebounds, screens, and-oh…two shorthanded goals. I know all the apologists are gonna come along, and people are going to point out that Cam Ward stole the game. Whatever. Miller needs to be better than Ward. Simple as that. Put in that Enroth kid I keep hearing about tomorrow for the back-to-back game.
- Wow there were a lot of Sabres penalties. Were they too excited for the home opener, or was it just situational? Either way they were shorthanded way too much.
- Not that that matters. Seriously, two shorties?
- Brad Boyes…hi. You’re pretty much on this team’s equivalent to a checking line. I’ve defended you since the first time I’ve heard Bulldog stutter, “I-I-I-I-I think they outta maybe trade Boyes!” But you aren’t doing yourself any favors, Brad. You’re on the Trade Watch list.
- I love Regehr/Myers. But between the offensive defenseman pairing of Ehrhoff/Leopold and Gragnani/Sekera, is there anyone responsible on the back end? I’ll never pretend to know more about hockey than Lindy Ruff, but I think perhaps a Mike Weber would be good to replace either Grags or Rej. There’s something to be said for defensive play.
- Leino didn’t seem to get a ton of ice time, but I noticed him every time he was on the ice. Or maybe he got a lot and I didn’t pay attention. Also caulk is a bitch to get off your hands.
- Bryan Allen is a little bitch. If that hit on Pominville, which I guarantee he’ll be suspended and/or fined for, was an accident, then you take your beating from McCormick like an adult.
- Welp, Jeff Skinner continues looking impressive. I’d love if Tyler Ennis looked as good, but apparently Ennis has come down with a case of the Afinogenov’s. Stop that, Tyler! Stop it!
- I keep getting texts that the arena looks amazing. If you’re in Buffalo and you have the means, apparently it is something to see.
- There’s your first loss of the season, Sabres fans. Sucks that they couldn’t maintain the lead, but I’ve gotta say the crowd wasn’t entirely too loud on my speakers. Granted I was about 4 drinks in by the third goal (who scored it? Was it Nolan Pratt?) and I was standing in a bathtub full of cold water with a blow dryer which may or may not be safe, but that arena was quiet. IT WAS THE HOME OPENER! Make some freaking noise!
follow Dan on Twitter or don’t. Or do. Or don’t. But you know you want to.
Topics: Buffalo, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Eastern Conference, Fansided, Hockey, Jason Pominville, Jhonas Enroth, Lindy Ruff, NHL, Northeast Division, Patrick Kaleta, Pittsburgh Penguins, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Stanley Cup, Terry Pegula, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers