With last night’s come-from-behind, 4-3 shootout victory over the New York Islanders, the Buffalo Sabres have helped Ryan Miller into the record books. Miller, 31, broke Dominik Hasek‘s club record for most career victories with his 235th win, doing in it 59 fewer games than “the Dominator”.
Miller stopped 38 Islanders shots, many point blank, to earn the victory. The Sabres have now won 3 out their last 4 games, and have climbed out of the Eastern Conference cellar, but cannot seem to gain much ground on anyone, at this point. It kept the Sabres an even 10 points out of the 8th, and final, playoff spot, which is currently occupied by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
It may have been only fitting that perhaps Miller’s best friend on the team, Paul Gaustad, scored the game tying goal with under 8 minutes left in regulation play, sending the game into overtime. Gaustad, with 2 goals and 2 assists, now has 4 points in his last 3 games.
The Sabres next game is Wednesday night against the mighty Boston Bruins, who lost 2-1 against the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday afternoon. Nine out of the next ten games the Sabres play will be against Eastern Conference foes. If there is a good time for a Buffalo surge, this would certainly seem to be it.
- Follow us on Twitter. In fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh, and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site, Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you heard Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email [email protected]. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about, [email protected] will get you started.