Its been a busy few weeks for me finishing up my school musical, so I’ve been kind of out of the loop when it comes to SabreNoise. With my absence came a lack of Draft Profiles, and starting today we get things going again. Look for a brand new edition of Draft Profiles every day this week! We start out with a young Canadian defenseman, Mathew Dumba.
Dumba, born in Calgary, is a 6’0” 173 lbs electrifying scoring defenseman. This year is Dumba’s third in Canadian juniors, and third with the Red Dear Rebels. He’s set career highs in games played, goals, assists, and points this season. In 69 games played Dumba has 20 goals and 37 assists. That’s 31 points more than he had last season.
Scouts are incredibly impressed with his hockey knowledge and his dynamic style of play. As many hockey writers have stated, Dumba may be the highest risk/reward draft pick eligible this year. He has gotten great praise from many sources. In TSN’s mid-term draft board, Craig Button had Dumba as the second best player in the draft, only behind Yabukov. The NHL’s Central Scouting had him a tad lower, at the 9th best North American skater. Ryan Murray, Morgan Rielly, and Olli Maata are the defensemen listed ahead of him.
Dumba is an athletic player, and one with great offensive upside. His playmaking ability and leadership are great upsides, but he does need to work on getting stronger before the draft and improve his play in the defensive zone. That being said it would be a surprise for Dumba to make it out of the top 10 in the draft, and could turn out being an excellent blueliner for any team.
- Follow us on Twitter. In fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh, and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @Megan_Colleen_, @GoodsOnSabres, @Melissa_Buffalo, @SabresAmerks and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App.
- Check out our main NHL site, Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you heard Rink Side Rants yet? Check out our live podcast programming throughout the week. Missed an episode, check out the archives.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]