For the most part we have looked at a lot of high profile prospects in the Draft Profiles series, guys who will most likely go in the top ten in this year’s draft. Today we look at a player who’s a little more under the radar, Phil Di Giuseppe of the Michigan Wolverines.
Before this season, Di Giuseppe played two seasons with the Villanova Knights of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. In his two seasons there he experienced much success, scoring 47 points his first year and 63 points in his second year. This led to the Maple, Ontario native being drafted by the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL. However Di Giuseppe decided to go the college route instead, settling on the University at Michigan.
At Michigan Di Giuseppe has played 40 games in the regular season, scoring 11 goals and 15 assists for the Wolverines. In October he was named the CCHA rookie of the Month. Michigan as a team had a somewhat successful season, and was named a one seed in the NCAA bracket. However they lost to Cornell in the first round by a score of 3 to 2.
Di Giuseppe is a player who’s greatest strength is his scoring ability. Standing at 6’1” and 200 lbs. he does have size as well and has been known to drop the gloves a few times. He is praised for his instincts, which scouts love to see already developing at his age. Being only a freshman he’s got a long way to go to make the NHL, but this young winger could be a nice addition some day. Currently he is projected to go late in the first round or early in the second round. He was ranked 28th overall by the mid-term Central Scouting report and is currently 26th on Craig Button’s monthly draft rankings.
- Follow us on Twitter. In fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh, and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @Megan_Colleen_, @GoodsOnSabres, @Melissa_Buffalo, @SabresAmerks and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App.
- Check out our main NHL site, Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you heard Rink Side Rants yet? Check out our live podcast programming throughout the week. Missed an episode, check out the archives.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]