There are many groups of brothers in the NHL. The Staals, Ruutus, Millers, Pyatts, Sedins, and Kostitsyns are just a few. Malcolm Subban would like to add himself and his brother to that list this offseason by being drafted into the NHL. Malcolm’s brother P.K. has established himself as a solid member of the Canadians blue line at his young age. Malcolm is hoping to have just as much success.
Unlike his brother, Malcolm is a goaltender for the Belleville Bulls of the OHL. The 6’1” 180 lbs. goalie is playing his third season in the CHL, playing more games each season for the Bulls. This year Malcolm played 39 games for the Bulls, posting a 25 and 14 record. His goals against average was 2.50 and he had a .923 save percentage, the best numbers that he’s had in the CHL. His goals against average was fourth in the league, only behind Mark Visentin (Coyotes 1st round pick in 2010), Matej Machovsky (2012 Draft eligible) and Michael Houser (Passed in draft in 2010 and 11, eligible for 2012).
In 2010 Subban played 32 games in his first starting season. Al Jensen of NHL Central Scouting said that “He’s got phenomenal quickness, athleticism and flexibility,” Central Scouting’s Al Jensen told NHL.com. “He’s aggressive and consistent. He can make the big save to either hold his team in the game or to keep the lead. He’s very confident and smart at reading plays developing in front of him,” when asked by NHL.com about the young goaltender. He is expected to go in the first round of this years draft as the top goaltender taken. He is currently 17th on Craig Button’s rankings of draft eligible players and 1st in the Central Scouting”s rankings of North American goaltenders.
- Follow us on Twitter. In fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh, and that’s just@sabrenoise, also follow @Megan_Colleen_, @GoodsOnSabres, @Melissa_Buffalo, @SabresAmerksand @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App.
- Check out our main NHL site, Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you heard Rink Side Rants yet? Check out our live podcast programming throughout the week. Missed an episode, check out the archives.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]