There was a new look to the Buffalo Sabres’ bench tonight – unfortunately the on-ice product looked very similar to what we saw under Lindy Ruff. Well lets take a few things under consideration:
1) Lindy Ruff spent 16 years with this club – for most of this team, he was the only coach they knew at the professional level. An emotional move by the team – an expected loss tonight.
2) Rolston has been the coach for 36 hours or so. You can’t change the complexion of the team in 36 hours. Rolston is going to need a game or two to get the lineup where he wants it, and to instill the team with the way he wants things done. I anticipate seeing a different outcome on Saturday against the Islanders.
3) Ryan Miller still is at the top of his game, and if the team can clean up the mental mistakes and the undisciplined play – then the tracks are laid to establish somethign going into next season.
4) Even if its the players, you can’t cut them all and expect to fill a roster to win hockey games. I doubt there will be little movement on this roster – for a couple of reasons. First, what moves do you want them to make? No one on the Buffalo Sabres who is “tradeable” is playing well enough for another team to want them on their squad. Second – I don’t expect Darcy to make it to the 2013 NHL Draft – so he has no incentive to develop this roster anymore. I could be wrong, but unless he can slam dunk a blockbuster – there is no saving his career in Buffalo.
5) Toronto is no slouch this year. They have gotten better, and their goaltending has been superb lately. It’s not like they are below us in the standings benefiting from our spiral downward towards Columbus.