In a new feature here at Sabrenoise, we’ll take a look at how some of the Buffalo Sabres prospects are faring in their respective leagues – OHL, WHL, college, etc. A “progress report” turned “prospect report,” here’s a look at where things stand as of November 6, 2013.
ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE
- Defenseman Brady Austin (LDN) suffered an upper-body injury during practice on November 1, but returned to face his former Erie Otters team on November 3. Austin has four points (2-2) in nine games with the Knights this season since joining the team from Belleville in October. He’s an overager who now has nine points (3-6) and a plus-11 rating in 16 total games this season.
- Centers Justin Kea and Eric Locke (both SAG) are second and third on the Spirit in points scoring this season. Kea has six goals and 10 assists for 16 points in 17 games, while Locke – who captains the Saginaw team – has 15 points (5-10) and a team-high plus-11 in 11 games.
- Right winger Justin Bailey (KIT) has four goals and six assists in 14 games this season with the Rangers. He’s currently averaging .71 points – and penalty minutes – per game.
- Right winger Nicholas Baptiste (SUD) is one of the highest-scoring Buffalo Sabres prospects in the OHL right now, with 22 points (12-10) in 17 games with the Wolves. He’s currently third on the team in scoring, behind Mathew Campagna and Nate Pancel.
WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE
- Center Logan Nelson (VIC) leads the Royals in goals, assists and points this season. He has 21 points in 19 games played, and five of his nine goals this season have come on the power play.
- Right winger Shawn Szydlowski has five penalty minutes, seven shots and is a plus-1 in five games with the Fort Wayne Komets. Goaltender Andrey Makarov has a 2-1-0 record with the Komets, allowing just four goals against on 93 shots faced. He has a 1.34 GAA and .957 save percentage in three games played.
- Goaltender Connor Knapp has a 2-2 record in four games played with the Greenville Road Warriors. Knapp has a 2.01 GAA and .942 save percentage.
UNITED STATES HOCKEY LEAGUE
- Goaltender Cal Petersen has a 6-1 record with the Waterloo Black Hawks. Petersen has a 2.28 GAA – 8th best in the league – and a .928 save percentage.
- Forward Judd Peterson has six goals and one assist in nine games this season with Cedar Rapids. His season includes two game-winning goals and one power play goal, and an overall plus-3 rating on the season.
- Forward Connor Hurley has 10 points (3-7) in 12 games with the Muskegon Lumberjacks. Of his 10 points, half have come on special teams. He’s already nearly doubled his shot total from last season, totaling 27 to last year’s 14.
- Goaltender Linus Ullmark (20) is 5-5 on the season with Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik of the Swedish Hockey League. He’s got a 1.68 GAA and .947 save percentage and has tallied one assist on the season. Right winger Gustav Possler has 13 points (8-5) in 18 games with Ornskoldsvik this season. He also has four penalty minutes and a plus-seven rating.
- Left winger J.T. Compher has five assists in eight games with the University of Michigan this season.
- Defenseman Jake McCabe has two goals and five assists for seven points in six games with the University of Wisconsin, while forward Brad Navin has one goal in six games with the Badgers.
- Defenseman Anthony Florentino has four points (2-2) and eight penalty minutes in six games with Providence College.
- Forward Christian Isackson has one assist in three games with the University of Minnesota.
- Center Sean Malone, a 2013 pick of the Buffalo Sabres, has two assists and four penalty minutes in four games of ECAC action with Harvard.