We’re less than two weeks away from trade deadline day, and while the trade rumors run rampant, here are some quick thoughts about our state of the franchise heading into February 27th:
- If the Brayden McNabb to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn rumors have any legs whatsoever, Darcy Regier has one tough decision on his hands. After another year of seasoning, Schenn would give the Sabres a bona-fide number one center for the next 10 years. Count me in.
- The steady play of defenseman Jordan Leopold is no doubt making him more and more attractive to plenty of teams looking for a veteran influence on the back end. Which begs the question: If you trade Leopold, do you still trade a guy like McNabb, too? Yikes.
- The Ottawa Sun report that the Sabres are shopping Robyn Regehr is ridiculous. Why go through all that trouble of convincing the guy – and his family – to waive his no-trade-clause to come to Buffalo, only to deal him 8 months later?
- No wonder Ville Leino can’t consistently put up any points. Lindy Ruff had him back on the 3rd line with Paul Gaustad and Patrick Kaleta at practice yesterday. I hope Ruff hasn’t lost this guy for good, 50 games into his Sabre career. What a waste.
- I’m curious to see – if the Sabres still believe they have a shot at the playoffs – if Jhonas Enroth will see another game this season. If the team is still 8-10 points out after February 27th, I would rotate Enroth with Ryan Miller every other game.
- Count me as one who thinks that Christian Ehrhoff will more than earn his $40 million contract when all is said and done.
- If the trade deadline goes as expected, and the Sabres are “sellers” (and by that, I mean trading as many of their pending unrestricted free-agents as they can – for picks and/or decent, young prospects – and dealing as much dead weight as possible, while opening up more cap space), there should be a roster spot opening up for Zack Kassian for the duration. And play the kid with some real players, will ya?. Putting him on a line with Matt Ellis? C’mon, Lindy!
- Brad Boyes. 63 games as a Sabre. 8 goals. Really? Perhaps, ala Geoff Sanderson (168 games in Buffalo, 29 goals), that’s what happens when the coach plays former 40-goal scorers on the 3rd and 4th lines. So maybe it’s the coach, then?
- Gaustad will be one hot commodity come the 27th. The question is, does Paul want to remain a Sabre, and for how much? If it’s me, $1.5 million per year sounds about right.
- What do we have to do to get Eric Staal in blue and gold?
- And, finally, if it’s Tyler Ennis as part of a deal to acquire a number one center, it better be a damn good one (see above). Better yet, let’s just keep him, and deal someone else.
And, don’t forget about the OptionIt contest. All you have to do is register for free, indicate the Sabres as your favorite team, and you are entered to win tickets to the Sabres/Maple Leafs game on April 3rd.
- Follow us on Twitter. In fact, don’t just follow us. Follow who I follow and who follows me. You’d be amazed at what you can learn about the Sabres, and how many laughs you can have. Oh, and that’s just @sabrenoise, also follow @dansterlace, @Megan_Colleen_, and @Lardsy
- Join us on Faceboook! Visit the SabreNoise Page or on the Network Blogs App
- Check out our main NHL site, Too Many Men. It’s a daily dose of hockey from around the league.
- Have you heard Rink Side Rants yet? It’s a weekly live podcast that airs on Sunday nights at 9 PM. It’s like a fireside chat with me and Frank from The Rat Trick about hockey and whatever else is going on.
- Interested in writing for SabreNoise? Shoot me an email at [email protected]. Another hockey team your forte? Email email@example.com. If it’s another sport you interested in writing about, [email protected] will get you started.
Tags: Brad Boyes Brayden Mcnabb Brayden Schenn Buffalo Sabres Christian Ehrhoff Darcy Regier Geoff Sanderson Jhonas Enroth Jordan Leopold Lindy Ruff Philadelphia Flyers Robyn Regehr Ryan Miller Sabres Trade Deadline Tyler Ennis Ville Leino Zack Kassian